The apostles of Jesus in the first church knew what to do with His delegated authority because Jesus let them taste of it in advance. He sent them out two by two and give them authority over sickness and demons. At that time he told them, “Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall injure you.” (Luke 10:19)
Later He told them…
Matthew 16:19 “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
The keys to heaven mean the ability to unlock things so that they will get opened for us and so that we’ll have access to them. Access to bring the good things of heaven to the earth realm. We also have the keys to lock spiritual doors in heavenly realms. This would be closing doors on evil and demonic activity.
What gives us those keys are the things Christ did on our behalf and has freely poured into our lives. He has given us His; righteousness, justification, adoption, covenant and dominion all through grace and faith. The result is that we have HIS keys.
The same keys he had and the same keys that God gave King David.
- These keys allow us to come into the presence of God and receive help in our time of need.
Hebrews 4: 16 Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.
- These keys also allow us to be seated with Christ in the presence of God so that we can alter and decree change on the earth just as Jesus did.
Psalm 149: 6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, And a two-edged sword in their hand, 7 To execute vengeance on the nations, And punishment on the peoples; 8 To bind their kings with chains, And their nobles with fetters of iron; 9 To execute on them the judgment written; This is an honor for all His godly ones. Praise the LORD!
- These are the keys for binding and loosing.
Matthew 16: 19 “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
- With these keys, doors are open that no man can shut and doors are closed that no man can open.
Isaiah 45:1 Thus says the LORD to Cyrus His anointed, Whom I have taken by the right hand, To subdue nations before him, And to loose the loins of kings; To open doors before him so that gates will not be shut: 2 “I will go before you and make the rough places smooth; I will shatter the doors of bronze, and cut through their iron bars. 3 “And I will give you the treasures of darkness, And hidden wealth of secret places, In order that you may know that it is I, The LORD, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.
Revelation 3:7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens…”
In this incident with the storm Jesus said, “Let us go to the other side”. Let’s consider what this statement could mean to us in our personal lives. In a metaphor it could mean from darkness to light, from Egypt to Canaan, from bondage to promise.
- He has named a destination!
- He has all confidence you are going to make it!
- He is going with you and in your boat!
- He has foreknowledge of the storms.
- He knows there are going to be some storms that come up and some things that rock the boat. But he’s not worried because He is there with you and will confirm His Word with signs and wonders if necessary.